Monday, November 20, 2006

IAN HEMMINGS: 1940 - 2006

IAN HEMMINGS: 15 MARCH 1940 - 20 NOVEMBER 2006

The email that I have been dreading has finally been received.

Mr Eric Martin wrote:
Ian died in the early hours of Monday morning. Funeral details to follow.
Regards
Eric
Besides Eric, my two other English lady friends have also written to inform me of his demise, Mrs Pauline Lee and Ms Barbara Dunham. Ian was in terrible agony towards the end and finally passed away at 3.15 a.m on 20 November 2006. All of us are grieving but at the same time we feel glad that our Ian is finally at peace and freed from all the physical torture that he endured during these past three years.
I will miss Ian very much. I first got to know him in 1993 when I was studying at the School of Education, University of Bristol. He was a perfect gentleman and was always cheerful. He made it a point to keep in touch with his Malaysian friends even after we had completed our studies. He was such a caring, generous and understanding human being who always thought of others first. Even when he was very ill, he'd still fret about Pauline and I. He made it a point to encourage me to reach my fullest potential. It was he who spurred me on whenever I felt frustrated while doing my research or writing up my dissertation. When I started my postgraduate studies, he told me that he'd come for my graduation when I got through my Masters programme but he later said that he would come when I was conferred a doctorate. It was Ian's way to encourage me to reach for the highest rung. It was also Ian who told me not to give up when there were no takers for the books that I have written. My English friend, who I nicknamed Sir Ian, called me Princess and made me feel very special.
I feel very sad for Miss Barbara Dunham, a very special lady in Ian's life. Just when Ian found the love of his life, he could not be with her. However, I am sure Barbara would cherish each and every moment that she was able to share with him. Believe me, Ian was a very special person - a wonderful friend. He will surely be missed by all who knew and loved him.

No comments: